Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Lesser of Two Weevils

Today, I decided to clean out the storage room. I do this occasionally, about every 3-4 months or so, or really when I'm just sick of watching the junk grow and have a desire to minimize. I've been going at it for a couple hours now, but I feel I've made some pretty good progress. I'll post some pictures with "Middle" (I didn't take any before, but they wouldn't have looked bad anyways - it was the small stuff hidden away that I am really de-junking) and "After" when I've completed my task!

It's been a great feeling watching the junk get smaller. I didn't realize how many "mementos" I kept that were just small pieces of paper with random writing on it. I've ended up throwing away a lot of small, random pieces of paper that I thought I wanted to keep 2 years ago and now are completely worthless. I've been able to reduce a lot of things and combine other things together into bigger boxes so I don't have so many smaller boxes. All in all, it's been a really good accomplishment.

However, my greatest regret is having to throw away my oats. I knew they were going to get weevils, and I probably should have taken better care of them, but each time I thought about it, I would push it off and say, "Oh, they'll be ok." Well, I finally decided to just jump in and, sure enough, the whole bag and tote were covered in weevils. That's what I get for not sealing the half open bag properly. I should have just gotten a bucket to put them in. I think I'm going to be throwing away at least 10lbs. At least. Oh well. We learn from our mistakes and move on. I really didn't use the rolled oats enough (quick oats are a little better for baking and even though I love whole oatmeal, I never eat it anymore). I suppose if I want to buy some again, I will. That way I'll actually care about them enough to properly store and seal them (this other bag was given to me).

So, lesson learned. Make sure you are storing your dry goods properly. 5-gallon buckets are great because they seal up really tight. I haven't had any problems with my sugar and flour over the last year. Now it's back to work! Wish me luck and I hope you have a good, windy Saturday!! :D





1 comment:

LuAnn said...

So now that you have gone through your own storage room, come over and go through the stuff you still have in our storage room!