Saturday, December 15, 2012

It Really Works!

Lately, I have been stressed about not being able to get things done, or feeling overwhelmed that I had too much to do around the house, and that I had no time to just sit down and do what I needed to anymore, and that I kept piling things on top of other things instead of getting down to the bottom and cleaning it all out, and add on top of that I had been watching too much TV, not reading enough or doing enough mind- or body-exercising things....

Frankly, I was beating myself up pretty bad.

So then a couple weeks ago, Sis Metallo taught us in YW about using our time wisely. She mentioned the talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks about "Good, better, best." Choose the best things to do first, then the better, and then if you have time, you can do the good. I've heard this lesson over and over and over again. I've seen the jar with the rocks and the sand and the water over and over. It's all the same. But that week, I finally understood.

At that point, my to-do list was pretty much at least 10 things or more I had to get done every day. It was overwhelming. I felt unaccomplished and upset when I couldn't get it all done, and I beat myself up about it every day. So I made a decision: I chose THREE things I needed to get done the next day. One was the most important, or the best. The next was second important, or better. And the third, which I should still try to get done, would be the good. And that was all I allowed myself to do, and if I didn't do anything else other than that, that it was OK because I got done what was the most important that day. And of course, I started this all off with a prayer to make sure these were the most important things I needed to get done that day.

And guess what! I did it! They were only three things, but I felt significantly more accomplished in that one day than I did after a whole week of trying to do things. And I even had time to crochet. And most importantly, I felt happy and at peace.

I continued this for a couple weeks, and am even still continuing this. I'm even exercising again. I am much happier with myself and my ever-messy house.

So why am I sharing this? I guess because yes, I am wasting time and I needed something to write about. But also, because this was a testimony builder for me. It may be different for you. You don't have to do it this way. But I took a teaching and I applied it with prayer, and I know the Lord blessed me in helping me feel better about myself again.

My house may never be pristine like I would like it to be. Things may be left undone for the night. But I know that I am doing my best to work on what needs to be done that day, and I feel good about it. I know the Lord will help us if we just turn to Him with a sincere prayer. He can make us better! And because of this, I hope I am becoming better.

Merry (early) Christmas to you folk. I hope you enjoy your holiday season!

No comments: