Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fishing, Mother's Day, Birds' Nests and Work

We went fishing on Friday! It was very exciting, to say the least.

Scotty caught TWO fish within the first 10 minutes. He was so ecstatic - his first two fish ever. He has now caught more fish than me. Don't worry. I will catch up.


Hailey also went fishing!

Our other friend also caught a fish within the same amount of time. Seems like this was the place to fish. Or so we thought...

Apparently the fish gods require payment for their friends at Spanish Oaks. I will just say we are grateful to have come out of this one unscathed (for the most part - there were a couple casualties in the cell phone department) and everyone was still able to be in a good mood at our little bonfire afterward. I mutilated the fish I was attempting to gut, and the kids had fun pouring glow-in-the-dark bubbles on our friends' pet pygmy goat. It was lots of fun and so good to be with everybody again!

Scotty got me the most wonderful Mother's Day present ever. He bought BEAUTIFUL purple tulips (some of my favorite), got me such a touching card, and bought me a set of crochet hooks!!!! I know it's mostly just hormones (I swear, I'm more emotional now than I was while pregnant), but I really almost started crying because I was so touched at his gifts.


I am so happy to be a mother. My daughter brings us such joy. I feel the Spirit so strongly and am so awed whenever I look at her. I still can't believe she's mine. I guess it takes a while for this feeling of motherhood to kick in, because I still just can't believe it. I am very grateful to have the opportunity to be a mother, and I am grateful to be able to share this parenting experience with my best friend and help-meet, Scott.


Speaking of being extra emotional, I am also grateful to be able to understand now what other mothers feel. I watched the most touching video on the internet that I'm sure a lot of you have seen about a young mother who's son was born with no eyes and was ridiculed for not aborting him in utero. It was one of the most touching things I have ever seen, and of course, I bawled. I knew exactly how she felt about her son, because that is how I feel about Hailey. I just love her so much and am so glad she is in my life.

To watch that video, here is a link.

We went to visit both our parents on Sunday. My mom found a robin's nest in the tree in the backyard. Of course we had to go explore it WITHOUT touching it. We didn't want the mother to not come back. I was able to snag of picture of these tiny little brand new babies!


Afterward, my mom was so nervous it was almost funny. She kept watching out the back window for the mom to come back, calling herself a murderer for contaminating the babies' nest and having their mother abandon them! Poor mommy. The mommy-bird did eventually come back.

And last of all, I went back to work yesterday. It actually wasn't too bad. I surprised myself. I had everything ready to go the night before, so all I had to do in the morning was gather everything up and be out the door (on time!). I only forgot a few things (including my vital employee number to clock in - oops!), but as the day went on, it came back easily. No major catastrophes, and the day went by rather fast. All in all, it went very nicely. And afterward, we got free dinner at Nellie's so the servers and cooks could get some practicing in. Yumm!!

No comments: