Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sisters, Part 2

It's hard to write this post without first saying this: I love ALL my sisters very equally and very dearly. That being said, each sister has a unique relationship with myself and with each other. There is always going to be something one sister can do that the other can't fill. We are all special in our own way, and together as a whole, we are the best of friends. So again, I love all my sisters very much, but today I would like to take a moment and highlight on one of them in particular.

Candice and I have always had a special friendship. But then again, Candice has always had a special friendship with each of our siblings. She was always known as the peacemaker. As a kid, she had a crooked smile and such a kind heart. Even now as an adult, she is always there with a shoulder ready for you.

Somewhere in our past when we were young, we started calling each other "Oy". We have no clue where this came from, but for some reason it stuck. We even made up our own special handshake. Only our family calls us "Oy", and we have each other as "Oy" in our phones. If you are given permission to call the other "Oy", then you are very special to us indeed. Jk, it's not that serious, but it is a very tender nickname we hold for each other.

We've always loved singing together. Always. More often than not, she would just come up to me and say, "Let's sing!" and so we would go over to the piano and pick out songs that have a duet or a pretty harmony. I would always play and sing the melody, and she would always harmonize over top or underneath. I loved that time together.

Now as adults, we've been lucky enough to work for the same company. That means we get to talk all the time. She even stops by my house after work on her days when she is down this way, and it's our special time together to bond and hang out. Often she'll stay for dinner, because she's just as close with my husband as she is with me. And we always talk and talk.

My favorite thing about Candice is that we can call each other up to hang out when really all we mean is "Let's just meet at my house and we'll just read, or crochet, or make lunch or dinner." We don't have to be doing anything, really, to just enjoy hanging out together.

The other night, she came by after work and planned to leave so she could go work out. My husband came home from work and convinced her to stay for dinner. After we ate, I started on the dishes and she just automatically came in and started helping. Right away, we started singing. We went through all our old songs and then some, just singing and harmonizing while we did the dishes. I loved it! I will always cherish that memory.

Oy, if you read this, I love you! Thank you for being one of my best friends. I have loved growing closer to you over the past little while. And Oy, if you are reading this, know that you are a good girl. Good things can and will happen to you. All you need to do is put your trust and faith 100% in God and He will pour out blessings so much that you literally won't have room enough! Keep on trucking - you're almost there!

Oh, and Oy..."Oy-oy! Oyoyoy! Huh!"

No comments: